Technology Appraisal Guidance No. 53
Source: National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence
- Insulin glargine is recommended as a treatment option for people with type 1 diabetes.
- Insulin glargine is not recommended for routine use for people with type 2 diabetes who require insulin therapy. Insulin glargine treatment should be considered only for those people with type 2 diabetes who require insulin therapy and who fall into one of the following categories.
- Those who require assistance from a carer or healthcare professional to administer their insulin injections.
- Those whose lifestyle is significantly restricted by recurrent symptomatic hypoglycaemic eposides.
- Those who would otherwise need twice-daily basal insulin injections in combination with oral antidiabetic drugs.
The guidance shown above constitutes Section 1 of the full document. A copy of the full document and a summary of the evidence is available on the Internet at http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ta53
Copies of the document can also be obtained by contacting 0845 003 7783 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and quoting reference number N0180.
This guidance represents the view of the Institute which was arrived at after careful consideration of the available evidence. Health professionals are expected to fully take it into account when exercising their clinical judgement. This guidance does not, however, override the individual responsibility of health professionals to make appropriate decisions in the circumstances of the individual patient, in consultation with the patient and/or guardian or carer.
© Copyright National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. All rights reserved. This material may be freely reproduced for educational and not for profit purposes within the NHS. No reproduction by or for commercial organisations is permitted without the express written permission of the Institute.
Enquiries concerning the guidance should be addressed to: National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence, MidCity Place, 71 High Holborn, London WC1V 6NA. email: email@example.com
Guidance on the Use of Long-Acting Insulin Analogues for the Treatment of Diabetes - Insulin Glargine.
Issue Date: December 2002
Review Date: November 2005