MabThera (rituximab) is licensed for use in combination with glucocorticoids for induction treatment of ANCA-associated vasculitis (defined as severely active granulomatosis with polyangiitis [also known as Wegener's granulomatosis] and microscopic polyangiitis).
To be eligible for treatment with rituximab, the patient must meet one of the following conditions:
- further treatment with cyclophosphamide would exceed the maximum cumulative dose
- cyclophosphamide is contraindicated or not tolerated
- the person has not completed their family and cyclophosphamide may affect their fertility
- the condition has remained active or worsened after a course of cyclophosphamide lasting 3-6 months
- the person has had uroepithelial malignancy.