- A new orodispersible film formulation of nicotine (Niquitin Strips) has been launched by GSK as an aid to smoking cessation or reduction.
- The influenza vaccines Agrippal and Optaflu (both Novartis) are now available for the 2013/2014 flu season.
- Zonegran (zonisamide) is now licensed for use as adjunctive therapy for partial seizures with or without secondary generalisation in children aged six years and older.
- The TNF-alpha inhibitor Simponi (golimumab) can now be used to treat moderate to severe ulcerative colitis when conventional treatments, including corticosteroids, 6-mercaptopurine and azathioprine, are unsuitable.
- The MHRA has restricted the use of short-acting β2-agonists in obstetric indications to parenteral preparations, with a maximum treatment period of 48 hours and a requirement for specialist supervision. This is due to the risk of serious cardiovascular events in the mother and the foetus/newborn.
- Revolade (eltrombopag) can now be prescribed for patients with chronic hepatitis C where thrombocytopenia prevents or limits optimal interferon-based therapy.
- Zedbac is the first parenteral formulation of the antibacterial azithromycin to be launched in the UK and is licensed for use in community-acquired pneumonia and pelvic inflammatory disease when initial intravenous treatment is required.
The most up-to-date drug information at your fingertips.
- Get the prescribing support you need.
- Register today for full access to the MIMS database, plus tables and guideline summaries, new and deleted products and consultation tools.
Register or Subscribe to MIMSGPs can get MIMS print & online and GPonline for free when they register online – take 2 minutes, and make sure you get your free MIMS access! If you're not a GP, you can subscribe to MIMS for full access.
MIMS bulletinsNews and updates straight to your inbox.
Prescribing Update: Fortnightly news bulletin
Alert: Urgent prescribing updates
Spotlight: Disease-themed monthly round-up
Read the latest issue online exclusively on MIMS Learning.
Especially created for prescribing influencers.